Jon Hall is a traditionally trained blacksmith. Upon completing his apprenticeship he spent nine years as a journeyman blacksmith working in Australia, England, Europe and southern Germany. During this time he worked for a wide variety of artist blacksmiths and sculptors, each utilising differing approaches to the placement of traditional craft within the art world.
Hall’s sculptural work explores the fundamental structure of steel as a material synonymous with the construction industry. His work focuses specifically on the effects of pressure, stored energy, and captured instances of intense heat and violent force. This is essentially stripping back his interest in blacksmithing to the beginning: The manipulation of metal through the use of heat and force. This concentrates on the effects of severe impact, and as such, avoids the temptation to control the material absolutely. By the act of subjecting the chosen material to these forces and allowing it to react as it will, the works become an observation of the fundamental properties the material holds.
Jon Hall produces work that bridges two disciplines: applied arts that hold true to the tradition of decorative ironwork and sculptural works that attempt to reflect how he sees the world: the surroundings we build for ourselves, the historical importance of steel/metal throughout human history, and how it reflects upon us as a species constantly striving for permanence in a world that promises anything but the rigidity we require.
- Combined show with Heiner Zimmermann. Tuebingen, Germany 2004.
- Annual blacksmiths convention and exhibition. Colbemoor, Germany 2005.
- “New Works” solo show. Tuebingen, Germany 2005.
- Combined show with Heiner Zimmermann. Metzingen, Germany 2006.
- International forging demonstration with Heiner Zimmermann. Auckland, New Zealand 2007.
- E:scape. Waikato, New Zealand, 2008.
- Sculpture in the Park. Waikato, New Zealand 2008.
- Sculpture on Shore. Auckland, New Zealand, 2008.
- Shapeshifter at the Dowse, Lower Hutt, New Zealand 2008.
- Shapeshifter at the Dowse. Lower Hutt, New Zealand 2010.
- Sculpture on Shore. Auckland, New Zealand, 2010.
- Hawkes Bay Invitational. Hastings City Art Gallery, New Zealand, 2010.
- Sculpture Exhibition, Tauranga. New Zealand, 2010.
- Wildflower Sculpture Show. Hastings, New Zealand, 2010.
- Sculpture on Shore. Auckland, New Zealand, 2012.
- Eight at Six. An exhibition of sculpture at Silo Six, Auckland, 2013
- Structure – exhibition of solo works. Allpress Gallery, Auckland, 2015.